Detroit Lions team president Rod Wood to retire
The Detroit Lions announced on Wednesday that team president and CEO Rod Wood is retiring. The official press release says that he will decide to step away at some point before the 2026 regular season.
“I want to thank the Ford Family and ultimately Lions fans everywhere for trusting me to lead the Detroit Lions for the last 11 seasons,” Wood said in a written statement. “It has been an absolute thrill for me to lead this organization, and I am proud of what we have accomplished over that decade-plus. I am most proud of where I am leaving this organization, in the capable hands of Sheila Hamp, Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell.”
Wood will stay on until his replacement is hired. The team said that search will be conducted by Russell Reynolds Associates, an executive search and leadership advisory firm.
Wood was hired as team president in 2015 as a familiar face to the Ford family. He had previously served as the president and CEO of Ford Estates.
Under Wood, the Lions saw both their stadium and training facility go through a series of renovations to keep the team resources up to date. Through his advocacy, the Lions were also able to host the 2024 NFL Draft in Detroit and set an attendance record for draft weekend.
While there were some early concerns about his time in Detroit given his lack of football experience and some early tension with Calvin Johnson, Wood has undoubtedly been part of the reason for the Lions’ current rise to relevance.
First Appeared on
Source link