First flu death of the season reported in Connecticut
HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) – Connecticut health officials reported the first flu death of the 2025-26 season.
The state Department of Public Health said the victim was a Hartford County resident in their 80s who died during the week of Oct. 25.
It marked the first influenza-related death this year in the state.
“This is a tragic reminder that the 2025-26 respiratory viral disease season is here,” said Health Commissioner Dr. Manisha Juthani. “If you haven’t gotten your seasonal shots, it’s not too late.”
COVID-19 is currently the most active virus in Connecticut, according to DPH. However, the department said flu and RSV levels are expected to increase after Thanksgiving as people gather indoors for the holidays.
So far this season, the state reported seven COVID-19 deaths and no RSV deaths.
State health officials said they recommend that everyone 6 months and older get annual flu shots and updated COVID-19 vaccines. Adults 60 and older and pregnant women should also get RSV vaccines.
People can get vaccinated at their doctor’s office, retail pharmacies, or by visiting vaccinefinder.org.
Officials also recommended washing hands, staying home when sick, and wearing masks if experiencing respiratory symptoms.
Copyright 2025 WFSB. All rights reserved.
First Appeared on
Source link