Israel launches new military operation in northern West Bank
Item 1 of 5 Israeli soldiers walk during an operation in Tubas, in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, November 26, 2025. REUTERS/Mohamad Torokman
TUBAS, West Bank/JERUSALEM, Nov 26 (Reuters) – Israeli security forces took up positions inside the West Bank city of Tubas on Wednesday and ordered some Palestinian residents from their homes, the latest assault in a months-long campaign across cities of the northern West Bank.
Tubas Governor Ahmed Al-Asaad told Reuters Israeli forces, backed by a helicopter that had opened fire, were encircling the city and establishing positions across several neighbourhoods.
Sign up here.
“The incursion looks to be a long one; occupation (Israeli) forces have driven people from their houses, commandeered rooftops of buildings, and are conducting arrests,” he said.
The Israeli military said the operation carried out with police and intelligence forces began early on Wednesday following “preliminary intelligence identification of attempts to establish” militant strongholds and infrastructure.
The military said it located “an observational control room” during its searches of dozens of homes in the occupied West Bank.
Israeli vehicles could be seen driving through the city, with troops patrolling streets carrying rifles and rocket launchers. Troops were also seen in the nearby town of Tammun.
PALESTINIANS ARRESTED, TROOPS SET UP ROADBLOCKS
Al-Asaad said Israeli forces ordered those whom they forced out of their homes not to return until the operation ends, which he anticipated could last several days.
“They are continuing to complete their control of the city,” he told Reuters, with Israeli forces setting up roadblocks and so far detaining at least 22 Palestinians.
The West Bank is home to 2.7 million Palestinians who have limited self-rule under Israeli military occupation. Hundreds of thousands of Israelis have settled there.
Hamas, which agreed to a ceasefire with Israel in Gaza last month, condemned the latest West Bank operation and called on the international community to intervene to stop it.
Reporting by Mohamad Torokman in Tubas, Alexander Cornwell in Jerusalem and Nidal al-Mughrabi in Cairo
Editing by Peter Graff and Ros Russell
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
First Appeared on
Source link
